Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Comments from Mattie and other young kids...

Last week Mattie's friend Josh came to play. When they pulled up, Josh saw me talking to my friend who was holding her one-year old. Josh said to his mom, Christa, "Mom, is that Val's baby?" Christa: "No, Val's baby is in Heaven." Josh: "Where's Heaven?" Christa: "I'm not sure." Josh: "Do you take an airplane to get there?" (Hehe) It's funny because Christa had not said anything to Josh about Julia's death up until that point. It randomly triggered his memory that I had a baby when he saw me talking to my friend holding her baby.

On Easter, Bob's mom took her granddaughters to church. The following is what Sally emailed me about their conversation in the car on the way home from church: On the way home they repeatedly asked me to tell them the story of Easter. They were very excited to hear about Jesus coming alive again. Sarah then said in a very relieved voice,
"Then Julia's really okay. She's alive again, even though we still can't see her!"

Yesterday, Mattie was at her friend Claire's house. Not long after we got there, Claire came into the kitchen where her mom, Karie, and I were talking. She told her mom that "Mattie's baby sister died." So Mattie must have said something to Claire about it. Karie didn't make a huge deal of it and Claire went on her way. Then a half hour later or so later Karie and I overheard Mattie and Claire talking while they were playing. Claire: Why did your baby die? Mattie: She had heart problems. Claire: My heart works just fine. Mattie: Mine, too! Claire: When I go faster, my heart goes faster. Mattie: Yah, when I jump up and down, my heart goes faster up and down, too.

Tonight when I was snuggling with Mattie she just said out of the blue, "I miss Julia." My eyes started welling up and I said that I missed her, too. I asked what made her think of that. She said, "I don't know. I just miss her." I said, "Yah, I really miss her, too. It makes me sad she isn't here with us." Mattie said, "But you still have me!" And I responded, "Yes I do and I am so thankful to God for that! I love you very very much."

No comments:

Post a Comment